Prep: 5 mins / Cook: 25 mins / Serves: 6
1 cup all-purpose flour / 1 teaspoon baking powder / 1/2 teaspoon salt / 1/2 cup milk / 2 large eggs room temperature / 1 teaspoon oil / 4 large bananas ( first cut in half then slice the halves in 2 inches )
Optional: 1 tsp cinnamon powder / caster sugar to dust
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk and oil.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamon powder
- Add all to make a mixture and stir it into a smooth batter.
- Cover the batter and let it stand for 30 mins.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- Dip each banana piece into batter to coat.
- Fry in batches until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve
- Dust with caster sugar.
Now wasn't that easy to make and it's tasty too! But for me, nothing beats my mother's homemade Maldivian banana fritters - it's called Dhonkeyo Kajuru
My mother hated throwing away leftover bananas so she always made banana fritters from them.
She made one mean sweet and thick pancake like batter ( 1 cup flour / 3/4 cup sugar / 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut / 1 teaspoon baking powder / few drops of vanilla essence ).
And Instead of slicing she just mashed them bananas, folded them into the batter and let it stand for sometime or until the oil was ready for frying.
She would then take out the batter and make small dumplings by hand and drop them into the fryer in batches.
They are the best banana fritters in the world.